Q: Timing chain tensioner oil leak 2009 Toyota Corolla

I recently took my Corolla in for an oil change....after getting my oil change I was told there was oil leaking from my timing chain tensioner and that to repair it take "dropping the engine" and take about 14 hours...and with labor cost the fee would be over 2000 dollars. Well I dont have that kind of money now so I was wondering what happens if I dont get it fix and wait a while I mean the heck is the timing chain tensioner anyways and what are the ramifications if I dont get it fixed....I mean how serious is this issue????????

Hello - you are being misled. The timing chain tensioner does have a gasket that gets old and brittle over time and leaks. BUT - it is fairly accessible, is external on the engine, and can be replaced inside 2 hours. The tensioner uses engine oil presssure to keep the timing chain tight (very important!), hence the tendency to dribble oil after the years roll by. I would recommend a timing chain tensioner gasket replacement by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, and repair this leak.

3. Timing chain tensioner oil leak 2009 Toyota Corolla