Q: Car not starting

asked by on March 28, 2016

My car isn't starting.

Hi, what happens when you turn the key? Batteries tend to wear out around the 5 year mark so if this is still the original battery it probably needs replacing. The best way to check the battery is to hook up a voltmeter to the positive and negative terminals and see how many volts it is putting out. You want the voltage as close to 12 volts as possible, anything below about 9.6v and there is pretty much no chance of starting the engine.

There is also a chance that the alternator isn’t supplying enough power to the battery so over time the battery voltage gets lower and lower until there isn’t enough to start the motor. The car isn’t too old however, so the alternator should still be okay. You should have a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect the battery and alternator to further diagnose why your car is not starting.