Q: Vent system malfunction

Several weeks ago, I had some repairs done at the shop. They had the rack and pinion steering replaced with the new one. Now, the car has a vent system issue. The top vents are not working anymore. The bottom ones are still working fine. I don't know if this has something to do with the recent repair, but I would like to get it fixed. How can I fix this?

It is highly unlikely that these two issues are related. The issue you are likely having is that the mode door actuator has failed. The mode door actuator controls the mode door which will move in different directions to block and direct air flow to the different zones of the vehicle such as the panel, floor, and defrost.

If this mode door actuator has failed, the mode door will get stuck in the position that the actuator failed in. The reason this is likely unrelated to your power steering repair is because this part is located under the dashboard and is not likely a place that would be accessed during the replacement of a rack and pinion system. I would recommend having a certified mechanic inspect your ventilation system, they will be able to replace anything as necessary to resolve the issues you are having.

3. Vent system malfunction