Q: Truck won't stay running

The battery kept dying and it would die really quick. I parked it and the truck died. So i replaced the alternator. I jumped it and let it run for a couple of minutes when I came back to it none of the gauges worked and neither did any other controls on the instrument panel. The lights on the instrument panels wouldn't work either. It started to idle down so I gave it throttle and would die without any throttle. The only way it would stay running is if I constantly gave it throttle. I let it die and then The lights came on on the instrument panel. Now the headlights won't turn off and it won't start do to a bad battery.

A: Hey there. Did you charge the battery befor...

Hey there. Did you charge the battery before starting the truck with the new alternator? An alternator trying to maintain system charge and charge the battery from dead puts a lot of stress on the alternator and can cause a premature failure. If the truck will only run while you give it throttle, you may have a clogged or malfunctioning idle air control valve. It may be time to replace that battery as well as have the engine control systems checked to see why the truck won’t run without adding throttle. For a problem like this, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to address your car problems.