Q: I have checked the oil level and the oil level on the dipstick is far over 'maximum'. Should I carry out a full service?

Hi, regarding my 58 plate Ford Fiesta, yesterday I have been answered by one of the pro mechanics 'Tim' that a timing belt wouldn't necessarily need replacing if there is a ticking noise by the engine and that maybe it could be a lack of oil in the lubrication and engine system. So this morning I checked the oil level by taking out the dipstick and the oil level is far beyond the 'max' level. Would I need to empty the sump and then put in the correct amount of oil? Or should I even carry out a full service instead?

Kind Regards

A: You should find out the reason the oil is o...

You should find out the reason the oil is overfull. If the oil is contaminated with water then you may have a head gasket blown. If the oil is contaminated with fuel then you may have a fuel injection system flooding the engine. Either way have the oil and filter replaced (since it may be contaminated) and the correct amount of oil put in. When you have this service done, have them check why the oil was overfilled in the first place.