Q: truck quits running after 20 minutes or so and has no feul pressure than restarts after about an hour

my 97 ranger had a new fuel pump installed about a month ago, and has new coil, wires, plugs, fuel filter. truck has quit on me twice out on the highway, both times after applying the brakes. fuel pump does not run and no fuel pressure. after about an hour it will start back up. has around 32 pounds fuel pressure when idling and close to 40 when revving it up, and takes hours to bleed down after cutting it off. is it the pump. thanks fred

Hello, thanks for writing in about your 1997 Ford Ranger! I would replace the fuel pressure relay first since you replaced the pump already. If the problem continues, then you may have to remove the fuel tank completely and remove the fuel pump to look at the bottom of the tank to see if you see a fine grain metal at the bottom. If so, then you may have to replace the fuel pump once more and clean out the entire fuel tank and wash it. Clean and dry it completely. If you need help having this checked, a professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s site to diagnose your stalling issue and verify what repairs should be made.

3. truck quits running after 20 minutes or so and has no feul pressure than restarts after about an hour