Q: Starting problems - 2004 Lexus LS430

the car battery was low however there was enough charge to start the car then it died right away. then the juice ran out. We put the booster on the care and it started then died right away.

Hi there. This sounds like a case of a failed alternator & battery duet. Many times these can fail within close time frames of each other and are usually recommended to be replaced together so that it has a new battery with a new alternator (unless one has recently been replaced).

A digital battery tester can provide data such as battery health, state of charge, cold cranking amps, and whether or not it may have a bad cell. A load tester can help determine if the alternator has failed. One of the most common things I used to look for at that Lexus dealer was a valve cover leak that had been dripping onto the alternator. Almost every time the oil leaking from the valve cover had seeped into the alternator and the result was a failed alternator.

If this is the case, the valve cover gaskets should definitely be replaced as the leaking oil will cause the new alternator to fail. If you would like to have this taken care of, YourMechanic hast professional technicians that can assist you with a diagnosis of the starting problem, and can also follow through with a battery replacement, alternator replacement, and valve cover gasket replacements services as necessary.

3. Starting problems - 2004 Lexus LS430