Q: Truck makes whining noises

asked by on August 18, 2016

My truck has been making some noises when I'm driving at 40-50 mph range. The noise is noticeable in all gears but it changes from medium to high-pitched whining depending on the speed. At speeds higher than 50 mph, the noise disappears. It would also go away if I let go off the gas pedal. I had the differential fluid checked and it looks okay. I thought it might be caused by the differential. What do you think?

Wheel Bearings Replacement $94.60 - $550.03 Get a Quote
Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

You are correct to suspect the differential. Other parts of the undercarriage, such as the tires and wheel bearings, usually result in a noise that persists during both acceleration and deceleration. Whining and howling noises are usually related to the differential gears and happen when the vehicle accelerates or decelerates. A pinion bearing is also a likely cause. The only way to thoroughly diagnose such a noise is to hear it in person. I suggest you have a trained professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, do this for you.