Q: Trip Counter, Clock & Radio Presets Are Resetting.

The last few days when I leave work for lunch, I've noticed that the trip counter, clock, radio presets and the mpg gage have all reset. It's happened 5-6 times. It has been consistently 95 outside. This does not happen overnight when the car is parked in the garage. I do notice that when the lights kick on, the dashboard dims.

A: Your concern sounds to me as if there is an...

Your concern sounds to me as if there is an electrical problem in the vehicle. Many electrical problems can be traced back to poor connections or corrosion. We will start at the battery as this is the heart of the electrical system. A loose connection at the battery posts can cause a vast number of problems so the posts must be clean and the terminals clamped on tightly. Now this does not mean to ratchet the fastener until it doesn't move anymore, as this will stretch the terminal and render it useless. When you grasp the terminal end and twist, it should not move at all on the battery post. With clean posts and a tight connection, have the battery tested as well as the rest of the starting and charging system. If all of these things check out, consult a professional mechanic to take a thorough inspection of the vehicle's electrical system.