Q: Transmission help!

My transmission essentially acts as if it's in neutral when I shift to 2nd, and 3rd gear it rumbles and doesn't always stay in gear, it's an old car should I try to find a replacement tranny at a junkyard to keep it running for now, or should I cut my losses and just go for a new vehicle?

Hi there. It sounds like you definitely have some internal failures of that transmission. A proper inspection would definitely be worthwhile to assess the situation accurately. Replacing the transmission is a viable option as well as a newer car. I suggest getting an accurate quote and compare it with the cost of buying a newer car. Once you have the numbers in front of you, you can make a budget decision. Your Mechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a transmission noise inspection.