Can resetting 2014 Chevy captiva computer stop the reduce...

Q: Can resetting 2014 Chevy captiva computer stop the reduced engine power

asked by on May 13, 2017

After pumping gas I started my car and it kept turning over but not catching. It did that twice. Finally it cut in and the check engine light came on then traction control light then the check engine light with a downward arrow came on. Engine power has been reduced and check stability track message started coming on. I went to the auto parts store for them to do a check. Came back with all these codes. I went to a mechanic shoo and they told me with all the codes I need to take it to the dealer and have them reset my computer. The computer is out of wack and sending error codes and it needs to be reset. The timing is off because of the computer and once its reset it'll work fine. My question is, if I take it to the Chevy dealer to get my computer re flashed, will it work? Or is it result of bad gas. None of this started til I pumped gas and tried to start it.

Hi there. Unfortunately, this is a very difficult question to answer since we don’t know which codes are showing up during an OBD-II diagnostic exam. However, what the local auto parts store probably did was a code scan and not a full code download. There is a huge difference between the two. When a problem is discovered by a sensor, an error code is created and stored in the ECU. This helps a mechanic determine what is causing the fault and make repairs to resolve your issues. However, resetting the ECU and clearing the codes won’t always resolve the root issue. The only thing this does is reset the ECU to allow sensors another opportunity to determine if faults occur. The best way to have your cars hard to accelerate issues properly diagnosed is by having a professional mobile mechanic complete a car is slow to accelerate inspection at your location. This will allow them to download all stored error codes, clear those codes with a professional digital diagnostic scan tool and pinpoint the root source of this issue. If an ECU relearn is recommended after this inspection, that will be verified by the mechanic that comes to your location. That would be the last thing I would recommend having done, as your issues might be mechanical or electrical in nature that need to be fixed.