Q: Antenna is loose, need to secure it

My 2014 Mazda CX-5 only has 3,600 miles on it but already there is an annoying problem with the antenna. It has come loose at the base and now the entire thing bangs around whenever I drive at high speed. What kind of new car is made like this? The part had to be ordered so I am going to have to deal with this for a while. Is this a common issue? Will it pop up again after I replace the thing?

Hello Linda! Thank you for writing in about this problem. This does seem to be a common issue to the CX-5. Unfortunately, there have not been any updated part numbers or Technical Service Bulletins issued for this particular problem. The design of the antenna is such that it can easily be dislodged from the base. It is possible that Mazda is redesigning the part so this doesn’t happen again. Though it is an inconvenience, if this problem occurs again, it should be covered under the new car warranty (3 years/36,000 miles). Be sure to inform your local dealer of the issue as manufacturers track problems like this and will issue recalls or TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) if enough vehicles have a similar issue.