Timing belt condition honda 2003 accord timing belts main...

Q: Timing belt condition

asked by on February 11, 2017

I bought it used 2 mths ago but how can i tell if the timing belt was renewed.The mileage now is 133K miles.What is the recommended mileage to renew the timing belt anyways?

The timing belt on the 2003 Accord is good for 90,000 miles. That implies that if the belt was previously replaced as required, you have 43,000 miles on the present belt. The only way to determine the age of the belt is if you can find a service receipt or if the timing belt has a "date of manufacture code" embossed on it. If, by chance, the prior owner had service done at a Honda dealership, if you give a Honda dealership your VIN number they might actually have records of the service. Sometimes, even the CarFax report will have a notation as to certain services (or clues). If you have the 3.0L Honda engine, you needn’t worry too much but all other Honda engines (except the 3.2L) are "interference" engines which specifically means that if the timing belt happens to break while the engine is running the valves could hit the pistons with obviously disastrous, and costly, consequences. So, if you have the 2.4L engine, you should make an attempt to learn the age of the present belt or just replace it outright as the present belt could already have 43,000 miles on it. If you desire that the timing belt and components be installed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request timing belt replacement and the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.