Q: Engine burning fair bit of oil

concern is if ill be covered by warranty as the mechanic advised that its probably not the piston rings but the pistons them selves could be worn out or something on those lines. what other issues could lead to engine burning 1.5 to 2l per approximately 2000kms?? thanks

You should first have the engine checked for any leaks and the PCV system serviced. Then make sure a paper style factory air filter is used. Use the correct oil and then document exactly how much oil is used per 1000km.

If more than one quart is used then you have a problem with excessive oil burning and would need to have the engine pistons and rings checked or replaced. If oil usage is less than 1 quart then this is most likely normal for the amount of mileage you have.

Have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, come to you and diagnose any oil leaks firsthand if you suspect a problem.

3. Engine burning fair bit of oil