Q: What type of gas should I use in a 2012 Honda Accord?

asked by on December 15, 2015

What type of gas should I use?

Many engines are designed for a specific grade of gasoline (octane). Octane ratings start at 87 and range higher. Your car should use at least 87 octane unleaded gasoline (no diesel!). Higher octane fuel is usable, but not necessary. However, don’t run anything lower than 87 octane or you may damage the engine (you’ll hear knocking from the engine, which leads to damage in the long run).

Tip

Honda recommends that owners use high quality detergent gasoline to help keep the engine clean and in good operating condition. See individual gas stations’ offerings to determine the quality of the fuel and detergent.