Q: Car shuts off, smoke and black water from muffler

asked by on August 22, 2016

I am having trouble with my car shutting off. To explain, I will be driving and suddenly it will shut off, giving that sensation that it is out of gas. I replaced the gas filter with a new one. Also, while I’m driving and when I press on the gas pedal, smoke comes from the muffler, like it is burning too rich. The muffler is also discharging small amounts of black water. What is your advice on how to fix these problems?

The color of the smoke can point us in the right direction of the problem. Blue or purple smoke indicates oil burning in the combustion chamber and can be caused my weak piston rings, worn valve seals or a malfunctioning crankcase ventilation system. Thick white smoke is an indication of burning off coolant or water. The white smoke is steam coming from the tailpipe. In most cases, this is due to a blown head gasket. Black smoke is an indication of running too rich and the black smoke is unburned fuel. A boost leak on a turbocharged car or severely clogged engine air filter can cause black smoke. If you would like to have an expert go over these problems, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the smoke and stalling issues for you.