Q: Oil filter is stuck on!

asked by on March 02, 2017

So i was trying to change the oil i drained the pan and when it was time to pull the oil filter off i found out that it was gonna be a problem. i went and got a filter wrench(one where you can put an extension and ratchet on) and within 10 mins of having is broke it. Then i went and got a band type wrench and it wouldnt turn it also just a really tight spot even with it being a swivel type. Then i tried the screwdriver thing and still couldnt get any type of movement. Please help this is very discouraging!!

Hi there. You will have to get a chisel and hammer and tap (with a good amount of force, but not to damage anything) on the oil filter to break it loose on the engine and then screw it off. Do Not Damage The Flange Area Where The Oil Filter Rides. Then when you install the new oil filter, make sure that there is a film of oil on the rubber seal and the filter is filled up if it mounts upside down. The reason that the oil filter is not coming off is the rubber seal was not lubricated when installed and it has melted to the engine block. If you need further assistance with your oil filter, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.