Q: My car stalls at times, yesterday the car shut off at a red light. I turned car off then back on now engine light is on.

asked by on December 10, 2016

A few months ago my car started to jerk while I was driving, then the engine light came on. Every once in awhile the light will come back on when I don't drive it in a few days then it'll go off. Yesterday it randomly shut off at a red light, I turned it back on & it worked just fine but the check engine light has come on again. No jerking or anything now. It's not making any noises or anything just the light

This may be a result of a dirty or failing idle air control valve. The idle air control valve reads the air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the engine at low speeds and at idle. Since this valve is controlled by the vehicle’s computer, it will adjust idle speed based upon other measurements such as engine temperature, intake air temperature and electrical system load or voltage. When you accelerate, the engine RPM increases, and as you let off the gas, the RPM slowly returns to the normal idling speed with the help of the idle air control valve making the transition from a higher RPM back down to idle speed. When the engine RPM drops below the normal range of about ~800 RPM, this often times will cause the engine to stall indicating a dirty or faulty idle air control valve. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and replace your idle air control valve.