Q: Transmission fluid leak in 1996 Ford F-150

My transmission fluid continues to leak after getting the transmission fluid and filter changed. Another mechanic said I need more repairs. Do I need all these repairs?

Unfortunately without looking over the vehicle in person, it is difficult to say whether additional work is required for your Ford F-150. It appears from the information provided that your Ford had a transmission leak prior to performing the transmission service. It is recommended to replace the transmission filter during this type of repair, as it is easily accessible when dropping the transmission oil pan to repair the leaking gasket. It is also common practice to replace the fluid with fresh fluid to not contaminate the transmission.

Provided this service was done correctly and the pan is not what is leaking, it is possible that the transmission or other supporting components have developed additional leaks. Located on the transmission itself, the front pump seal, behind the torque converter, as well as the rear transmission seal where the drive shaft slides into the transmission can both develop leaks. If you are in doubt, then I recommend getting a second opinion by enlisting the assistance of a certified mechanic to come and inspect your Ford F-150. They will have the experience needed to determine if any previous repairs were done correctly as well as thoroughly inspect your Ford’s transmission fluid system and advise you on what needs attention.