Q: Trans shifts when cold gets stuck in 2nd when temp hits about 210

Rebuild trans shifts perfect when cold when the truck gets hot is gets stuck in 2nd. Would that be the speed sensor going out? Any help would be appreciated.

Hello.

A transmission that gets stuck in 2nd gear can be caused by a few things. A few possible causes are, as you suspected, a faulty speed sensor, a faulty shift solenoid, or even a mechanical issue.

The speed sensors, both input and output, as well as the shift solenoids control the vehicle’s shifting. If they malfunction they can cause the vehicle to experience issues shifting, including getting stuck in a gear. I would test both the input and output speed sensors to see if any of them need to be replaced.

If you need help with this, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can diagnose your shifting issue firsthand for an accurate repair.

3. Trans shifts when cold gets stuck in 2nd when temp hits about 210