Q: Why is my air system blowing out hot air in spurts and why is the temperature gauge nearing hot while in use?

My service light comes on and stays on. When the cool air system is in use it sometimes blows out hot air. Also the temperature gauge nears the hot zone when the cool air system is in use. It hasn't reached the hot zone yet but it has come pretty close. I haven't used the air cooling system since Monday and the temperature gauge has stayed at normal levels. I had some coolant added on last Thursday and when I checked it on Monday there was none in the the reservoir at all.

A: This can be caused for a variety of reasons...

This can be caused for a variety of reasons such as a malfunctioning thermostat, a radiator not flowing properly, a faulty coolant temp sensor or AC refrigerant not properly being supplied to the AC compressor. Your car’s AC system puts a heavy strain on your car’s engine when it runs as it requires a lot of power to run. When the AC compressor comes on it puts additional strain on the motor that may be already struggling to stay cool as a result of any of the issues named above. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home to diagnose and repair.