Q: I BELIEVE MY AIR COMPRESSOR WENT OUT ON MY2012 BUICK LACROSSE CAUSE AIR WILL NOT COME ON, IF I CONTINUE TO DRIVE IT LIKE THAT WILL

asked by on September 17, 2016

TRYING TO FIND OUT IF MY 2012 BUICK LACROSSE WILL OVERHEAT ON ME IF I CONTINUE TO DRIVE IT. THE AIR COMPRESSOR WENT OUT ON ME LAST WEEK. IT MADE THIS LOUD RATTLING NOISE A COUPLE WEEKS ONLY WHEN I TURNED THE AIR ON IT MADE THAT NOISE.

AC Compressor Replacement $672.08 - $2949.86 Get a Quote

I am going to assume the air compressor you are speaking of is your air conditioning compressor. If this is correct, the answer is your A/C (air conditioning) has nothing to do with your car overheating. There are components in the A/C system that can contribute to overheating in some very specific situations, but the A/C not working will not cause your car to start overheating.

The loud rattling noise you heard is a classic failure pattern for all A/C compressors. Other than not having cold air and effective defrosting, your car will run and drive as normal. If you are experiencing other symptoms, then you have other problems.

I recommend the following service if you decide you want your A/C compressor replaced, by a certified technician from YourMechanic; AC compressor replacement.

Good luck!