Q: Car feels like it's going to stall when stopped, just had timing belt and water pump replaced. Is the timing off?

asked by on July 28, 2017

Recently had timing belt and water pump replaced in march and the car was running fine. Then the radiator and fan was replaced in June. Car was driving fine after all of the repairs. Just recently, and of June, the car started feeling like it was going to stall when stopped at a light and we have to put the car in neutral in order to make it idle normally. Could the timing be off or is there another issue with the car?

It’s not really likely that the timing is off. Modern cars with distributorless ignition rarely have any issues with the timing. If you’re having problems with your idle the first thing to look for is air leaks. Any air that gets into the engine without passing through the Air Mass Meter will lean out the fuel mixture and cause idling problems among other possible symptoms. Look under the hood for any hoses or rubber boots that are broken or in bad condition. If you don’t immediately find the problem there you may have a problem in the throttle body or the idle air valve. To find out for sure you can contact Your Mechanic to have a technician come to your home or office to check out your idling problem right there on the spot and tell you what can be done about it.