car is shaking when I brake especially down hill and knoc...

Q: car is shaking when I brake especially down hill and knocking sound when driving slowly

asked by on August 06, 2017

I got my roters and break pads changed a few months ago and it's gone down hill from there. My car shakes severely when breaking going downhill and shakes a bit when stopping on flat road. It also jerks when I brake which it did before I got my breaks fixed. Another thing is that when I go under 20mph and have been driving ​for a while at the speed the my car makes a knocking sound I took my foot off the breaks and the gas and it still did it. But when I speed up it goes away.

Hi there. What you are describing is typically an indication of a damaged wheel bearing as opposed to a brake system issue. The wheel bearing is designed to wear out over time and will cause vibrations, shaking and make sounds - especially when the vehicle turns. It’s also possible that the CV joint might be loose or damaged. Since there are multiple possible issues that could be causing these symptoms, it’s probably best to have a professional mechanic come to your location to complete a car is vibrating inspection. This will allow them to inspect the vehicle onsite and isolate the root source of this problem.