Q: Tire pressure gauge didn't work at gas station

I think the tire air pressure pump at the gas station was wrong because it kept giving me a sub-20 psi read on my tires. There's no way it's that low. I just filled my tires a bit and now I don't know what the actual pressure is. How bad is it if I overfilled my tires? Can you recommend a cheap but good tire pressure gauge for me to keep in my car? Thanks!
My car's mileage is 4000 miles.

Great job on maintaining proper air pressure in your tires! Tire pressure is critical, and if left under or over inflated, you risk premature tread wear or a possible blow out. There is a strong chance that the gas station tire gauge is inaccurate. The machines are subject to all weather conditions and abuse from people that use it. Tire pressure gauges can be found at most retailers, I bought mine from O’reilly Auto Parts. There are several kinds of tire pressure gauges out out there (digital, analog, glow in the dark, etc.). A simple gauge is all you need to keep the tire pressure where it needs to be.