Q: Timing chain valve is bad

The mechanic told me the problem with my car was the timing chain valve was bad. This is causing the engine to become overloaded with gasoline, with the result the car shutting off while in idle. The Engine light has been on for a while and it has also been burning oil. I am looking for a second opinion on this.

A: A worn timing chain can cause some camshaft...

A worn timing chain can cause some camshaft timing to become erratic and cause a host of engine running issues. However, there is a tensioner on the lower part of the engine that is supposed to remove the slack automatically as the timing chain stretches. The oil consumption and the "Check Engine" light also need to be taken into consideration. The faults should be read out of the engine to determine if there are other faults. You should also check if the camshaft timing is way off due to a worn timing chain, if it is, there should be some faults stored to confirm this. Oil burning is usually an indication of excessive engine wear (piston rings, valve guides, etc). Mechanical condition of the engine should be assessed before investing in a costly repair such as a timing chain replacement. My recommendation is to have another mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, assess your engine and inspect you engine computer's fault memory to be sure this is the necessary action to correct your engine's running issues and to determine why your engine shuts off when you idle.