Q: Difficulty starting, occasionally there is no cranking

Hello. I've been having issue with my car almost every day. The dashboard shows security light illuminated. When I put the key into the ignition, there is no cranking. I sometimes try turning it on and off several times to get it started. Other times it takes 10-20 minutes for it to turn over. It is as if the solenoid and starter aren't engaging at all. Also, the shifter cannot go into park occasionally. I tried starting the car by putting it to neutral first. It didn't help. I had the battery checked and it is fine. Also, the key has a chip if that has any importance to the issue. Can you give me some advice please? What could be the problem here?

The security chip and the sensor ring that sees the chip can cause the issue. The first thing to try is another key that is not worn. If this works, then have more keys made; this should fix your issue.

If the vehicle still does not crank, then the system may need to have the sensor ring or the antitheft module checked to see if it is getting proper signals to disable, but it does not respond. The module may have intermittent connection issues that need to be checked by a mechanic. An inspection of your hard to start issue by a qualified mechanic is a good place to start.

3. Difficulty starting, occasionally there is no cranking