Q: Car stops accelerating and check engine light comes on momentarily while driving.

On occasion while driving my car the theft light, check engine light, and battery light turn on and the speedometer will drastically drop for a second. It also feels like my car stops accelerating when this happens. This can happen when driving on the freeway or driving in town. Power relay maybe? Any advice?

Hi there:

It is very possible that the issues you’re experiencing are cause by a faulty main relay issue on your 2003 Mercury Sable. However, it could be other issues ranging from your alternator to simple wiring or a minor ground issue. To determine precisely what’s causing this problem, you should have a professional mobile mechanic complete an engine is stalling out inspection.

• Car stops accelerating and check engine light comes on momentarily while driving.