Q: Check engine light is on - 2011 Nissan Altima

Check engine light is on. I paid $100 for a diagnosis. They said it needs new oxygen sensor. They want $340 for labor and $50 for the part. The car runs fine. $340 labor sounds high to me, to replace an oxygen sensor. So what happens if I don't replace it? And if I do replace it, can I get it done for less than $340 labor? If I don't replace it, will I have a problem passing my next smog test?

Hello there, thank you for asking about your 2011 Nissan Altima. It’s hard to say exactly what the shop you spoke with quoted you for, or where they were getting their parts and labor estimates from. Usually the parts are the more expensive part, with a low amount of labor to replace the sensor.

I would suggest getting a second opinion and estimate from a trusted independent technician, such as one from YourMechanic, who can replace your oxygen sensor at your home or office.

3. Check engine light is on - 2011 Nissan Altima