Q: Idles between 500rpm and 1300 rpm. Main concern is low rpm. Belt or pulley chirping mainly at low rpm Drives perfect but Idles bad

Has hard starts every now and then. Idles poorly all the time. When driving the car feels solid, and engine is smooth and running great. A belt or pulley chirping at startup and lower rpm. It's a off:on off:on type of chirp also the idles speed is bad. So the chirp mixes with the speed of the engine. So at 500 rpm I will hear a chirp then the idle speed goes up to 750 and the chirp goes away but it's a non stop thing until I start driving. I don't know if these two are connected or two different problems. Any help? Thanks

Kody

Hello. From what you describe it would appear that your vehicle may have more than one issue.

Belt chirping is usually caused by a worn belt or tensioner. If either component wears out the belt may loosen and chirp when the engine is started, or cold.

The low rpm low quality idle can be caused by a few different things. I would look at the idle air control valve, as that is the component that maintains the vehicle idle, and at any vacuum hoses that may be cracked or damaged, and possibly leaking. This is more likely for older or high mileage vehicles.

If you’re unable to pinpoint the issue yourself, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians will be able to come to your home or office to diagnose your starting issue firsthand and make the necessary repair to your car.

• Idles between 500rpm and 1300 rpm. Main concern is low rpm. Belt or pulley chirping mainly at low rpm Drives perfect but Idles bad