Q: Can I use a bigger top idler pulley on my SHO?

I can't find the idler pulley I need ANYWHERE for my 1993 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L. Not even the Ford parts counter at my local dealership could help. I ordered one that I thought may work, but its a bit bigger. It looks identical in every other way. The pulley I need is at the top and it looks to have room to fit, but I don't want to try it if I'm going to screw up my motor.

I'm attempting to learn how to work on cars, so I have a general knowledge but this is way beyond what I've learned. Any assistance or advice on how to replace a pulley that I can't even find an interchange part for is greatly appreciated.

You will need to remove the original idler pulley and install the new one and see if it turns freely and does not interfere at all. You will need to use the next longer serpentine belt to make room for the bigger pulley.

3. Can I use a bigger top idler pulley on my SHO?