Q: Car has limited power (limp mode) when gas is pressed.

asked by on October 24, 2016

Hello, I have a 2006 Passat 2.0T Automatic. The engine started running rough the other morning and would not accelerate or shift properly . Basically I would step on the gas and it would barely go or just rev up and not go/shift. I drove it in sport mode and was able to shift manually and drive but not over 70MPH. I read all the forums I could find and replaced the following parts. Engine Coils,Spark Plugs,In tank fuel pump,High pressure fuel pump, cam follower. Drove it again and still have the same problem. Currently the EPC light is on,Check engine light and a fault code of P2294 came up on my Autoexray scanner tool. Any ideas? The ironic thing is it was running perfect before I took it to a VW dealer to have a new key programmed and now it has this problem after driving it about 100 miles.

Hello. The P2294 code indicates that there is a problem with high-pressure fuel regulator circuit. The driving behavior you outline (won’t rev or achieve speed) may be due to low fuel pressure (high pressure circuit)/inadequate fuel supply, or the engine falling into "Limp Mode". This is hard to tell without additional codes and information.

Either of these would cause poor engine performance and shift quality. I would start with a diagnosis of the high-pressure fuel circuit: fuel pump relay, power to the pump itself, fuel filter, etc. You may still have a fuel supply restriction or a pressure regulator issue. I recommend having a certified professional diagnose the loss of power so that this can be properly addressed.