Q: What factors affect fuel economy?

What factors affect fuel economy?

A: Your Accord came with a window sticker that...

Your Accord came with a window sticker that explained the miles per gallon the car was rated for under different driving conditions, such as highway driving, city driving, and also provided a combined total. It’s important that you understand these are not definitive numbers – many factors affect fuel economy. These include:

• Idling – The longer you idle, the more fuel you use without actually traveling any distance.

• Hard Acceleration – Hard acceleration uses more fuel than normal acceleration.

• Low Tire Pressure – Low pressure in your tires can reduce fuel economy (the engine has to work harder to turn the wheels).

• Hard Braking – Sudden braking wastes fuel.

• Cold Engine – Not letting your engine warm up to normal operating temperature before driving can reduce fuel economy.

• Using the Air Conditioner – Using the air conditioner places an additional load on the engine, increasing fuel consumption.