Q: Timing chain broke

I was driving my truck and the timing chain broke, after that it wouldn't go forward or backwards, I cut it off and had it towed home, now it want crank. How much damaged do you think it caused and a round about figure to fix. I was driving about 60 mph when I heard a loud noise, when I pulled over the truck was still running but wouldn't move forward or backwards.

Hi George. Thanks for contacting us tonight. It’s really hard to say what type of damage was done by your broken timing chain. When this occurs, typically the cam shaft is always out of sequence (which requires removal of the cylinder heads to correct) and internal cylinder head hardware like push rods typically break. This is a rather expensive repair in most cases, at least above $1,000, so it’s probably best to start looking for a replacement engine or contact a local engine shop to receive an estimate for replacement or repair.

3. Timing chain broke