Q: Timing belt replacement: Cam gears are not lining up.

I got a car from my mom that she told me it had made a loud gun shot noise one day and started making a loud ticking noise under 1500 RPM. I did some research and found out it was out of time and that the hydraulic tensioner had broken causing the timing problem. I ordered a timing belt kit and got down to the timing belt, but where I had messed up is to take off the alternator I had to remove a pulley and that had loosened the belt, which I had taken off afterwards. I started adjusting the cam gears and crankshaft to line up with indicators without the belt on (possible screw up) and for all but the right cam gear lined up. The right cam gear got "springy" and went about 7 teeth too far and then didn't budge going clockwise. I realized I had to adjust with the belt on and put it on but now it it only rotates a couple of revolutions and then doesn't budge anymore. Would you have any possible solutions? Thank you in advance.

Hi there. You will have to remove the timing belt and turn the camshafts again to line them up to there marks. Now, one camshaft will stay in that position where the other one will be under spring tension. You will need something or a timing lock tool to keep the camshafts from turning before putting on the belt. Then your timing will be set properly. If you need further assistance with your timing belt replacement, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. Timing belt replacement: Cam gears are not lining up.