Q: My eps light came on,I already made an appointment for diagnostics..but I need to drive it until monday..is this safe to drive?

asked by on February 16, 2017

Is it safe to drive with my cars eps light on for a couple days?

Hi there. As long as you are not impeded by any negative side effects and you feel it is safe to steer your vehicle, you should be ok to continue driving your Hyundai until your appointment. Thanks for writing in to ask!

Hello, and thank you for writing in. With the EPS (electric power steering) warning light on, the computer has detected an issue with the system. Your particular system does not utilize gears and fluid in the same way traditional power steering systems do. That can mean the issue is something as simple as a dirty electrical connection, a bad sensor, or as severe as complete system failure. The severity of the issue is best judged by you. Are you having any issues with the power steering? Has steering become harder, jerky, or is the system making any strange noises? If not, then the vehicle is likely okay to drive for short reasonable distances. Keep in mind, the issue can worsen and develop into something that can leave you stranded. This is of course a major safety concern.