Q: Throttle response is dull now

I have suspected for a while that something was up with the throttle in my 2008 Ford Escape. The car began to feel funny when I let off the gas, like the engine was responding late to me letting off the gas. Luckily it wasn’t in any kind of bad situation. The car has 90,000 miles on, I expect some quirks. But yesterday I ran a stop sign by accident and finally checked it out. Turns out it was the gas pedal sticking! How can I fix this? It seems so troublesome for such a small piece, I just want to use my vehicle without crashing!

Your frustrations are totally understandable as your gas pedal should respond normally. If the throttle is sticking this will cause your engine RPMs to remain high which is likely why you ran a stop sign. This issue could also cause the exact opposite problem as well. The throttle in your vehicle could stick and prevent you from being able to accelerate at all. The first course of action to take on a problem like this would be to have an under hood inspection performed by a qualified mechanic to determine what is causing the gas pedal to stick. I would recommend an expert mechanic from YourMechanic, as they would be able to inspect the vehicle right where you are. During the inspection, ask the mechanic to thoroughly inspect your throttle body and linkage. By design the throttle body in this car allows sticky air from your PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) system to enter the throttle body. This is normal on most vehicles, however on the Escape this air is travels to places within the throttle body that it shouldn’t causing your throttle to stick. If the mechanic finds this to be the case, they will likely be able to resolve the issue by spraying throttle body cleaner on all the moving parts within the throttle body. This cleaner allows the parts that are stuck to free up allowing normal operation of the throttle again.