Q: There is water in my gas tank - 2004 Nissan Sentra

asked by on November 08, 2016

I believe I have water in my gas tank.

What steps should I take to solve this?

And would stopping for gas tomorrow AM temporarily solve the issue until I bring it in? Thanks

If you think you have water in your fuel, then you would have one of two problems. You would have a misfire and a rough running engine if there is some water in the fuel but not enough to keep the engine from running at all. If you have large amounts of water in the fuel, then the engine may not start or stay running at all.

If you can drive the car, then getting more fuel should dilute the water more. I would also add some dry gas to the fuel tank at the recommended rate. Do not exceed recommended amounts of additive to the fuel. You should burn through most of the water in a couple tanks of fuel if the amount of water is small. If you have excessive water causing the engine to stall or stop running, then you may have to let the water settle to the bottom of the tank and then be drained off. This can be done by removing the fuel pump and sucking water off the bottom of the tank.

If your car begins to stall, then I would recommend having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to perform an inspection and suggest the best course of action for getting your car back in full working order.