Q: there is a loud rattling noise that sounds like its coming from transmission and only does it during acceleration and higher RPMs

asked by on August 21, 2017

My truck will be fine during idle and slowing down but as soon as I accelerate or reach higher RPMs it will have a really loud rattling. It sounds like metal ball bearings loose and clashing together near my transmission area. I sometimes hear the rattling when it shifts from 3rd to 4th but not all the time. The rattling will always happen when I drive, theres no way to drive without hearing it. Now the weird thing is that it will rattle for awhile until it does a really quick loud rattle and makes the check engine light come on. Once the check engine light comes on the rattling will completely stop. I tested this on a long road trip. The rattling wont start again until I completely shut my truck off. Once I start driving again, the rattling will come back until it does that really quick and loud rattle and the check engine light comes on. This has been an on-going problem and is just getting worse. All fluids are good by the way. Please help.

Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

It’s possible the code(s) stored when the check engine light came on might provide some clues although your onboard diagnostics system is an early version (OBD-I) and so the data reported is not very detailed. Nevertheless, a first thing to do is download those codes. It’s possible to apply a wireless remote microphone right on the transmission (these are called "chassis ears"; they are very effective) to pinpoint the noise. If the noise originates in the transmission it’s either the torque converter or a rotating component such as a clutch or gear assembly (occasionally, the flex plate can get loose, too). Even if it is the transmission, it’s no big deal to re-build a transmission and, in fact, it is much easier to rebuild the transmission on a car compared to the engine. To get the noise pinpointed and learn of your slate of repair options, and costs, please request a vehicle noise diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will definitely find the origin of the noise. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr