Q: There are little nicks/scratches through out my front windshield. Some of the scratches are deep. What could be causing this?

I noticed there are nicks/scratches all through my front windshield. What could be causing this? Some of the scratches seem deep.

Hello - if you drive in any area frequented by sand, gravel or other large trucks that haul aggregate materials, this ends up on the highway, is kicked up by all vehicles, and attacks your windshield. Driving in northern states where salt and other aggregates are put on the road in the winter, and left there year round, is another circumstance that, unfortunately, eats away at car finishes. Silicon coatings on our windshield (mainly used to disperse rain) may help slow down this process, but it is relentless in some areas. Additionally, your vehicle has a large windshield with a large surface area - a larger windshield surface area will naturally make you more susceptible to these issues.

You should look up the windshield laws in your state to determine if you need to repair or replace the windshield on your vehicle.

• There are little nicks/scratches through out my front windshield. Some of the scratches are deep. What could be causing this?