Q: Multiple new problems after collision repair

asked by on October 17, 2016

my car was in a minor front end collision which I took to the shop for what they said would be a one week repair. the car was there for 3 wks. when I drove away my esc off light was on. I also was getting a msg that a tire was low and needed air. my car was running noticeably more "rough" than it had been. I called the shop and explained that my esc seemed to not be programmed and felt they hadn't programmed it. I put air in my tire but the setting did not change and the warning was still there. I noticed that when coming to a stop the car would literally shake back and forth... from front to back. I took the car to autozone to have them run the tester on it and it showed the poo11 and poo10 msg. They told me I should take my car back to the collision shop and have them correct these problems. I want to know if it is realistic for me to feel this issue is their responsibility to correct... as I know already they will try to tell me it "is something new" since they had my car.

When there are problems that were not there before an accident that show up after repairs are done, then the problems may have been due to the last repairs. However, you know best if any of the problems are new. It may not be due to the previous repairs authorized by you but additional repairs needed over and above the work already done. I recommend first returning to the shop and seeing if they will check and verify it is not something they did. After that, I would recommend taking it to a dealer to complete the repairs. This way you know that the shop has the special needed diagnostic tools to reprogram the ESC if needed. The low tire pressure sensor may need to be reset or the sensor may need to be replaced in the tire.