The truck will go in reverse fine, but at every stop the ...

Q: The truck will go in reverse fine, but at every stop the transmission acts like it's in neutral. I have to rev the engine to get i

asked by on March 25, 2018

The truck will go in reverse fine, but at every stop the transmission acts like it's in neutral. I have to rev the engine to get it to go into gear, it slams into first. And it goes through all the rest of the gears fine. Until i stop at a light, intersection etc. then the process restarts. Put new filter and fluid and still same issue. a couple of times it stalled when trying to engage into 1st from a stop. What do u think it is

A faulty shift solenoid, and/or internal mechanical faults that cause clutch slippage, will usually set a trouble code and the check engine light will come on. Check for stored trouble codes but if there are no stored codes, a scan tool would be applied to view transmission operating parameters, such as line pressure, solenoid position and so forth to arrive at a diagnosis. If the transmission is just simply not "in gear", mechanically that means line pressure is too low and/or there are leaks for example in a clutch piston. Leaks can occur due to internal seal failure, leaking valve body components, inadequate oil pump pressure and so forth. The cause can be pinpointed if you request an automatic transmission shift diagnostic. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.