Q: The pulley is making a rattling, ding ding ding sound occasionally when I'm driving, how do I fix this?

I'm concerned the pulley is either bad or needs to be tightened . I wanna know if this is a simple fix or something that's going to cost me.

A: In most cases, this sound is an indicatio...

Hello:

In most cases, this sound is an indication of a loose pulley; which might be caused by worn out center bearings or misalignment. The best way to attempt to fix this is remove the belts, then try to wiggle the pulley to see if it’s indeed loose. If it appears tight, then it’s most likely that the pulley is bent and needs to be replaced. If it’s loose, remove it to inspect the center portion to see if it’s worn out and then replace it. If you try these steps and still can’t pinpoint the source of the noise, contact a mobile mechanic to complete an engine is making a noise inspection; so they can determine what’s wrong and how to fix it.