Q: The parking brake is locked up and the car will not move.

i can release the parking brake and put the car in gear but it only moves a tiny little bit before the wheels squeals. i can rock the car back and forth like it's stuck in the snow but it will not move. when i push the emergency brake pedal, the dummy light comes on and at the last inch or so there is a popping noise. maybe the cable is broken? the dummy light goes out when the pedal is released. the back tires just don't want to move. ?????????

A: Hi there. The light that come on the dash ...

Hi there. The light that come on the dash when the parking brake pedal is applied and then shuts off when the parking brake pedal is released is a normal condition. The parking brake cable could be broken for the brakes are still stuck. Check the brake cable and see if its tight or loose. If the cable is loose, then check the brakes on the rear of the vehicle and see if they are lock on. Replace the parts that are stuck, usually a drum brake return spring or an integrated caliper that is frozen, depending if your vehicle has disk / drum or disk / disk brake system setup. If you need further assistance with your stuck parking brake, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.