Q: The engine stalls when I put the car in reverse, but if I go past reverse into drive there is not an issue.

Put the car in reverse holding the brake the car stalls, if I go into neutral or drive it works fine. If I put the car in reverse not holding the brake it shifts rough but doesn't stall. I have not driven the car at speeds higher than 35mph, so not sure of the other gears. When I opened the pan after letting the car cool, drained the fluid disconnected the battery. After the pan was open I connected the battery and one solenoid would begin to heat up.

Hi there. Usually when you shift into reverse and engage the brake it will cause the engine RPM to drop; as it’s creating a load against the transmission and the engine. If the engine stalls, it may be caused by a faulty idle control valve, bad O2 sensors, or clogged fuel injectors.

In regards to the "pan", we’re not sure what you are referring, so it may be a good idea to contact one of our local professional mechanics to complete a battery inspection to determine what’s going on with your 2010 Ford Focus.

• The engine stalls when I put the car in reverse, but if I go past reverse into drive there is not an issue.