Q: The engine stalls when I put the car in reverse, but if I go past reverse into drive there is not an issue.

Put the car in reverse holding the brake the car stalls, if I go into neutral or drive it works fine. If I put the car in reverse not holding the brake it shifts rough but doesn't stall. I have not driven the car at speeds higher than 35mph, so not sure of the other gears. When I opened the pan after letting the car cool, drained the fluid disconnected the battery. After the pan was open I connected the battery and one solenoid would begin to heat up.

A: Hi there. Usually when you shift into rever...

Hi there. Usually when you shift into reverse and engage the brake it will cause the engine RPM to drop; as it’s creating a load against the transmission and the engine. If the engine stalls, it may be caused by a faulty idle control valve, bad O2 sensors, or clogged fuel injectors.

In regards to the "pan", we’re not sure what you are referring, so it may be a good idea to contact one of our local professional mechanics to complete a battery inspection to determine what’s going on with your 2010 Ford Focus.