Q: The engine loses power after a longer drive

My car seems to lose power and hesitates as if it isn't getting enough fuel. It started having these problems a few months ago, while I was driving a longer distance. The weather was hot. Then it happened. I tried to give it gas and accelerate and it was losing power. The car could run but there was no acceleration so I replaced the fuel filter, thinking it would solve the issue. Then it ran okay for a while, but the same problem occurred after a longeer drive while I tried to go uphill. The engine again seemed to lose power. So, I took it to the mechanic. He thought it might be the catalytic converter causing this, so I had it replaced. But about 20 days later, it happened again but it wasn't as bad as it used to be. Yet again, it felt like the engine is not getting enough fuel and like it's overheating. These problems happen after an extended driving. Do you have some suggestion what I should check next? Thanks.

A: It is possible that your fuel pump would be...

It is possible that your fuel pump would be getting weak.

Often times if the fuel level is run low many times, this can cause the fuel pump to overheat. If the fuel pump overheats, this can cause it to quick working. The fuel inside the tank is what keeps the fuel pump cool. If the fuel pump gets dried up and runs to cause an overheating issue, this issue can happen again even if the tank is full.

I would recommend having your fuel pump and loss of power issue checked out by a professional mechanic. It is important to have this issue resolved by a professional because it relates to the fuel system which is a high pressure flammable liquid.

The mechanic you choose would run a fuel pressure test on your vehicle which will test the performance of the fuel pump. Since your fuel filter is brand new, if the fuel pressure is low, the pump is likely to be bad.

Once the final results of the diagnostic test are received and the decision to replace the fuel pump has been made, be sure to use only fresh gas as old fuel can cause problems for the new fuel pump.