Q: The car starts then dies.

The car starts then dies there is a squeaky noise under the hood as well service engine light is on

Hello there. In most cases, when there is a situation like yours when the car starts then dies, it’s due to a fuel or ignition system failure. In some instances it is due to components like fuel injectors, Mass Airflow Sensors or the throttle body being dirty or clogged with excessive carbon build-up. It’s also possible that the spark plugs, plug wires or other ignition system component is causing this problem. The best way to diagnose this issue is to have a professional mechanic come to your location and complete a car starts then dies inspection.

There are a few things that may cause the vehicle to start then stall like a faulted idle air control valve or weak ignition system. The fact that the check engine warning light has illuminated may shed some light on the problem causing the stalling issue. The squeaky noise under the hood may or may not be related to the stalling concern as a worn drive belt or a component along the belt drive system may have worn bearings and these can cause a squeaking noise. Consider hiring an experienced technician like one from YourMechanic who can come out for a closer look and offer a more personal diagnosis of your stalling and noise concerns.