Q: Car squeals only when accelerating/coasting. Stops when braking

asked by on September 19, 2017

My car makes a squealing sound when I accelerate or coast. It seems to stop when I brake. The squealing used to happen occasionally but now it happens all the time while driving.

Hi Taylor. Thanks for contacting us today. A noise like you are describing is often caused by wheel bearings that have lost lubrication and are wearing out. It can also be due to a loose serpentine belt or drive belt. To know for certain, have a professional mechanic complete an onsite inspection, so the right repairs will be made.