Q: Q: The car is cranking but wont turn over

Car started at gas station, whined loud. Drove it ten miles. 15 miutes later it cranks but wont start.

Hi There, There are a number of things that may cause the vehicle to not start, however the whining sound you describe is common when an alternator goes out. As you may know, the alternator is responsible for charging the battery while the engine runs by generating amperage and recharging the battery while the engine turns the alternator. The voltage regulator is a unit that regulates the charging of the battery by the alternator and maintaining a certain amperage while the engine runs. When the alternator is not working properly, this may result in the battery quickly losing charge and the car losing all power. You may also notice a whining sound as a result of the bearings inside the alternator begin to fail. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your charging system.

3. Q: The car is cranking but wont turn over