Q: The brakes are grinding on my car

You can hear the brakes grinding on my car when the brake pedal is pressed. The brake pads look okay to me, and I don't know what the minimum rotor thickness is. How do I know if the full brake set needs to be replaced?

The best way to tell is to take the wheels off, do a complete inspection of the inner and outer pads on the front, remove the rear drums, and inspect the rear brake shoes. The minimum rotor and drum thickness is imprinted on the rotor or drum. If you cannot find the reason for the grinding then I suggest you have a qualified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic come and do the complete inspection and diagnosis for you.

3. The brakes are grinding on my car